Malta Individual Investor Programme
The IIP is aimed at ultra-high net worth individuals and their families worldwide.
Application for the programme is straightforward and clear. Applicants must satisfy a number of criteria, and make a number of investments in the country. Extremely strict due diligence is carried out on all applicants, ensuring that only highly respectable clients are admitted.
The IIP offers beneficiaries citizenship in an EU Member State, which in turn gives the individual and his or her family the right of establishment in all 28 EU countries.
Citizenship is granted for life and to all future descendents.
Malta has a stable economy, society and government. It has a strong tradition of democracy. It is also part of the Schengen Agreement.
Beneficiaries of this programme are able to access all investment opportunities available to Maltese citizens nationally and within the EU.
The programme is open to non-Maltese nationals that satisfy the following criteria:
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Applicants must acquire a residential immovable property in Malta of a minimum value of €350,000 or annual minimum rent of €16,000 for at least 5 years from the date of purchase.
- Applicants must be resident in Malta for at least 12 months before naturalisation (proof is required).
- Applicants must invest €150,000 in government-approved financial instruments, with the investment being retained for at least 5 years.
- Applicants must make a contribution to the Maltese National Development and Social Fund of €650,000, part of which is a €10,000 non-refundable application fee. Additional fees consist of €25,000 each for a spouse and any minor children, and €50,000 each for every dependant parent over 55 years of age and any dependent children aged 18-26 years.
The investments and contributions listed above need only be made after the applicant’s application for citizenship has been approved.
All applicants to the programme will undergo a detailed due diligence process to ensure that they are a person of good repute. Checks are made with INTERPOL and the International Criminal Court, amongst others. Applicants must also have a clean police record.
The fees attached to the due diligence process are €7,500 for the main applicant and between €3,000 to €5,000 per person for a spouse, child or dependant.
Finally, there are passport and bank fees that amount to €500 per person in the case of passports and €200 per application in bank charges.
Successful applicants and their families will then receive a Maltese passport along with all the benefits that accompany such a privilege.
Citizenship may be revoked if it is revealed that it was acquired fraudulently. Being disloyal to the Maltese President or Maltese government, or assisting an enemy at war with Malta, are also grounds for the revocation of the Maltese citizenship by Investment.
Take This Further
Applications for the Malta Individual Investor Programme may be made only through an Authorised Agent.
A qualified and experienced agent is of paramount importance when applying for the IIP. RE/MAX has an impeccable reputation of assisting clients through this process by helping them to find the right Agent, thus avoiding potential stumbling blocks that could delay the process or even result in refusal of the application.
Our preferred partners at RE/MAX Malta ensure that every application is submitted at the highest standard, leaving nothing to chance. When so much is on the line, there is no room for error.